Friday, March 24, 2006

Tequila for the Expat's Soul

I'm not a big fan of the whole Chicken Soup for the (insert disease, condition, malady, neurosis, maladjustment, hobby, etc. here) Soul series. Frankly, I don't see how a cup of broth and some noodles can stop a runny nose, let alone save my soul, but, hey, maybe I'm just eating at the wrong noodle house. Now, tequila, that's a whole 'nother story. If you don't think tequila can change your life, you obviously haven't experienced, first-hand, the effects that massive quantities of it can have on your digestive system.

Speaking of life-altering events, moving across country, jumping an ocean, landing in the frozen tundra where you know no one and don't speak the language(s), can be a little daunting as well. That's why I've decided to offer a little expat tip post - a been there, done that, don't say this, brake before you hit the tram, sort of public service announcement. Sure, I've only been at this expat thing a couple of months, less the seven weeks I took off for bad weather, but if I can prevent even one person from losing it at Galleria Inno, I'll have done my part for world peace.

I'm calling it "Tequila for the Expat's Soul," mainly because there's nothing tequila can't kill or cure (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works on foreignitis). Besides, they don't write country songs about going ten rounds with Campbell's Soup!

Any expats out there that have walked a mile in my shoes, or in more comfortable ones if you are so inclined, feel free to throw in your four cents.

TftES#1: American cookie sheets won't fit in the ovens. Save the packing space and bring something you will really use -- a large jar of Tylenol or a bottle of tequila, both of which are much more expensive on this side of the pond.

TftES#2: Typically, your new place won't have curtains or light fixtures. (Lots more on that later, I promise.) Bring a 3 step stool or a ladder and some metric tools. When you don't speak the language and know no one, finding a handyman that speaks English can be a little challenging.

© 2006 Cindy Lane. All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TFTES #3 Bring your own file folders. Lots of them. European file folders will not fit into your file cabinet

TFTES #4 Printer paper and printer cartridges. The standard paper size here isn't what all your software is set for AND the printer cartridges are so expensive.

TFTES #5 And comfortable shoes : ) to deal with cobblestone sidewalks, long walks to the bus stop or Metro station, and to facilitate a speedy escape from 1) a bomb threat, 2) an anti-American protest, 3) crazy people.

(Pause now to take a long swig of that tequila)

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy, I had drinks with Pam Potts 2 weeks ago and she still talks about her out-Tequila'ing you on a many New Years Days Ago. She mentioned that since you can't drink alot of Tequila, you probably won't want to go that route for your soul remedy.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lane said...

The Pam Potts tequila reference is wrong on sooo many levels that I refuse to respond to it!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Cindy, I saw it live, in person. She put you, a professional, to shame!!!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lane said...

Rod, to get to your world, do we take a right at the unicorn or a left at the leprechaun?

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home