Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Shoe Friends

To date, my experiences with Scotland have been fairly limited. My favorite aunt is first generation Scottish-American. At Christmas, I always buy the "Scotch" brand of tape. I've seen Braveheart. I owned a green plaid jumper in middle school. I admit it is a pretty lame "all things Scottish" list, but, come Friday night, all this will change! I have been invited by a Scottish expat to attend a Scottish dance with her and some of her expat friends.

Although tempted to Google, last night, I broke down and called my friend to ask her the single-most important question pertaining to Scottish dances: "What do I wear?" Her reply, "comfortable shoes." Houston, we have a problem! When I told my friend that I didn't own any comfortable shoes, she sort of laughed in disbelief, and then threw out that she only wears comfortable shoes. Houston, we have a bigger problem!

How can I possibly be friends with someone that doesn't understand the sweet pain of having your pinkie toe pinched so tightly by Italian hand-made baby calf leather pointed-toe shoes that it jumps two spots and rests between your second and third toes the whole time your are wearing them? Can you really bond with someone who hasn't experienced numbing pain to the balls of their feet from walking in heels that are way too high? Do you even want to? Is a friendship doomed to fail if you can't commiserate with each other about how your significant other cannot see the differences in, let along the necessity of, your fifteen pairs of black strappy sandals? Can you be a true friend if you can't help me justify why I should spend $300 plus dollars on a pair of shoes that I can only wear with one outfit? Can a self-proclaimed shoe-whore hang out with someone who has never went to her closet, opened a shoe bag, pulled out a shoe, and said "ahhh"? I have my doubts.

(Dedicated to my shoe-loving girlfriends in SoCal that refuse to "buy some f#cking Aerosoles", and, especially to Elana for being able to talk me into buying the matching bag as well!)

© 2006 Cindy Lane. All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no Cindy? Is our friendship OVER before it has truly begun? True confession--I have nothing but comfortable shoes. Many years ago I worked in a shoe store, and 1) saw enough malformed feet to last a life time 2) had to fit young shoe horses in REALLY ugly shoes because they had been forced to have surgery on their tortured feet. This (and my mother's feet, which resembled cloven hooves) have kept me shopping for square-toed loafers and Rockport and Teva sandals.

That said, while I don't wear gorgeous shoes, I appreciate their allure. And the matching bag--I am so going to talk you into that!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy, Aerosoles are definitley out of the question, but have you thought about Naturalizers??? They've actually got some cute shoes believe it or not! Good luck!
=style before comfort=

4:28 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lane said...

V-grrl, you did bring me jalapenos and teach me how to comment on the blog, so .... throw in the matching belt and you're on!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lane said...

FSW -- at this stage in my life, I stay as far away from "natural" as possible, but I appreciate the heads-up.

Life is short -- buy the shoes!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I can buy a belt, I need to get a waist. Anyone know where to buy that?

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home