Saturday, March 18, 2006

Can You Tell Me How To Get To Sesame Street?


Lately, I've been thinking a lot about that hot pink puppet with the blue eyelids and the long orange nose on Sesame Street that used to sing, "One of these things is not like the others, One of these things just doesn't belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the others, by the time I finish this song?" Since moving to Brussels, I can't get over the feeling that the song is over and all the fingers are pointing at me!

Here's two of my more recent Sesame Street moments:

SSM #1

Last weekend, Dan and I decided to go to Mickey D's for a cheeseburger. Not giving it any thought, I threw on an old sweatshirt and jeans. After our lunch, we decided to walk around the city center, where we stumbled upon (drumroll, please) ........ a Syrian political rally!

Shall we just tick off the ways I was "not like the others"?:

  1. one of only two Americans in crowd;
  2. only blonde;
  3. only blonde American taking photos;
  4. only blonde non-Arabic speaking American taking photos;
  5. only blonde non-Arabic speaking American taking photos wearing a "Don't Mess With Texas" sweatshirt!

There's probably a lot of places where you shouldn't wear a Don't Mess With Texas sweatshirt, but I'm thinking Syrian political rally has to be pretty close to the top of the list.

SSM#2

On Friday, I saw the sun! To celebrate, I did what anyone who has lived in Southern California for any amount of time would do. I pulled on my shades and went shopping!

As I was standing at the crosswalk, I noticed a young man and his girlfriend across the street, looking at me and laughing. When the signal changed, I walked across the street in their direction. As I got closer to the couple, the young guy took his hands and made a huge production of shielding his eyes from the sun. Yeah, I get it, jackass!

One of these things is not like the others ...

© 2006 Cindy Lane. All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Well Mr. I-don't-wear-sunglasses has never been asked for his autograph now, had he? SO THERE! We'll see who's laughing when the cataracts hit him and he has to wear wraparound black geezer shades and can't see well enough to cross the street.

It truly is an OCCASION when you get to pull out your sunglasses in Belgium. We should pretend we're from the south of France. We need Chanel shades.

Did you hear the Dixie Chicks have a new album coming out in May? The chicks are still fuming about that OTHER TEXAN, (the one who shall not be named). The album's lead song has a pointedly political tone. Hmmm, I'm thinking I need a Dixie Chicks sweatshirt--just the thing to wear while attending a protest.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lane said...

Funny you should mention that OTHER TEXAN and protests. Stay tuned for my next post -- it has photos!!!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home