Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Don't Cry For Me, Belgium

After fifteen hours of flying, I landed safely in San Diego late last night, having been subjected to only one "random" secondary inspection search. Fortunately, deep cavities were not involved!

Upon arrival, Dan met me at the airport with a huge bouquet of flowers (Can you say, "guilty conscience"?) and we went straight to Miguel's Cocina, the Mexican restaurant down the road from us. I'm convinced that Dan and I played a huge part in financing last year's renovation and I think they should name a banquet room, or, at the very least, a table, after us. Nacho, the bartender, greeted us with a great big hello, followed by a pitcher of 'ritas. The pollo asada never tasted better. Oh, the comforts of home!

It's weird being back in a place where everyone speaks English. I caught myself, saying, "si vous plait," to the waitress, who looked thoroughly confused. I guess French is not commonly heard in Mexican restaurants in SoCal. It's a little strange coming back to your own home and having to remember where the light switches are, but, otherwise, the adjustment has been seamless.

I have to admit, it's hard to be bitter about being deported when you come home to a city nicknamed "America's Finest." The weather today is a beautiful 68 degrees, with no sign of rain in the forecast.

© 2006 by Cindy Lane. All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

Blogger Di Mackey said...

I remember adoring San Diego ... meanwhile rain forecast over here till Saturday.

Enjoy!

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home. Hope to see you soon at Kelly's.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to think of those hard-earned Spench language skills going to waste in San Diego. And good for you for introducing the "natives" to franglais.

I'm just glad suspicious INS guys weren't lurking in the background. One more "s'il vous plait" and Bush might try to deport you too! NSA is probably monitoring your calls. Welcome back to America!

P.S. Fifty degrees and windy this morning. Chance of sideways rain this afternoon. Ooh yeah--we got the BEST weather.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home