Friday, May 19, 2006

I'm a Loser And You Can Take That to the Banks!



Ok, I just finished reading Martin Banks' article in the latest issue of The Bulletin (http://www.thebulletin.be/) detailing the problems of those sans papiers who are seeking asylum in various area churches. (Sans papiers would be those like me, without papers, except in much more dire straits.) I have to say, I'm more than a little upset.

His article highlights the plight of a guy who received an OQT, after living and working, illegally, in Belgium for 36 years. 36 years! Years, people, Y-E-A-R-S. If you consider that I spent 2 of the 3 months of my tourist visa outside of the Schengen states, at most, I have been (arguably) sans papiers for 6 weeks. And, during this whopping 6 weeks, my inscription has been in process! This guy flies under the radar for 36 years and I get nailed after a month and a half. There are people that live their entire lives without ever visiting a foreign country, and I have managed to get myself thrown out of one, and, apparently, in record time! I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you deport me ...

© 2006 by Cindy Lane. All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Sean Brown said...

So sorry to hear about your situation. Never underestimate the idiocy of a bureaucracy and their ability to screw up your time abroad. Hopefully, though, this is a minor snafu and you can at least get home and have some Mexican food. Keep blogging and let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dearly Deported, we are gathered here to say our fond 'farewell's' to Cindy." -- Brussels

Deportation is not necessarily a bad thing. You'll get back just in time to follow the continuing saga of the U.S.'s trumped up, election year, immigration "crisis."

LaMar

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey y'all, some guy got fiesty on my site because I criticized Bush's immigration policy in my post about Cindy.

Get a tan, have a margarita, come back better than ever to stimulate the Belgian economy with those hard-earned American dollars. THAT's our job as expat Americans.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sad to hear you're leaving Belgium. Hopefully you'll be able to figure something out & return to Brussels soon.

I'll miss reading about your adventures. Keep us posted.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home