Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sighisoara Bathroom Attendant


Dan and I sat down at this cafe on the square in Sighisoara to watch the ProEtnica Festival. For whatever reason, this bathroom attendant took an instant dislike to me - and this is before I started watching her every move and taking photographs of her!

When I went to the bathroom, I looked for the customary table and small bowl of change, but did not see one. When I got ready to leave the bathroom, this lady was standing at the stall door, with her hand out. Not having any change, I gave her the smallest bill in my pocket, which was probably five times more than she was charging, but I was ok with it. Hopefully, she would remember me and give me one on credit if I needed to use the bathroom again before we left the cafe. That was my thinking, anyway.

During the 3 plus hours we spent at the cafe, there were many, many, many more people that used the facilities, but this lady charged exactly THREE people - me, and 2 little girls, ages about 8 and 10 (and they gave her change). I couldn't believe it. I could see why she might charge the kids -- young, naive, gullible, not to mention likely to play in the water, but why charge me and no other adult?

I begged Dan to go to the bathroom so that I could test my theory that she was singling me out. Dan, who didn't need to go to the bathroom, thought I was spending way too much time obsessing over what amounted to about 30 cents. I explained to him that it was the principle, not the money. Dan finally relented and went to the bathroom. Sure enough, he got to go for free.

Copyright 2006 by Cindy Lane. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home