Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Personal Worst

On Monday, I drove to Aachen, Germany to shop at the Wal-Mart. (I cringe every time I read that statement! I'm pretty sure you are a red-neck if you drive through three countries to get to a Wal-Mart.)

It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to Aachen. Once in Aachen, it took me 3 hours and 12 minutes to find the Wal-Mart -- and that's with a GPS, a map, and stopping multiple times to ask for directions. (The address I had was not the correct one. I don't care what the Wal-Mart website tells you, don't search for Elsastrasse 139!)

It seems that people in Aachen either don't know where the Wal-Mart is, or, they enjoy screwing around with Americans and sending them all over the city. I am now intimately familiar with the Ring that goes around Aachen, as I have traveled every square kilometer of it -- numerous times. I believe some would call it "driving in circles."

To add insult to injury, there are Wal-Mart billboards everywhere in town. I'm not asking for arrows, but it would have been nice if one of these huge-ass advertisements would have had the address posted on it. Where's the love, Sam?

I finally stumbled upon the Wal-Mart. As my luck would have it, the one thing that I was looking for, Wal-Mart did not have.

Wasted trip? Not really, because I scored some Reese's peanut butter cups!

Copyright 2006 by Cindy Lane. All rights reserved.

6 Comments:

Blogger Colin said...

If you're looking for American products you might want to try "grare", if you've never been there, it's an American food store in Wilrijk (Antwerp). It has a reputation for expired sell-by-dates though.

Stonemanor in Everberg sells mainly British stuff but they have a small American selection. However, it's well hidden in the middle of nowhere.
http://www.stonemanor.uk.com/

And there's a store called Jacksons in Antwerp too.
http://www.jacksons.be/

Or make friends with someone in the US military, they have their own stores :)

The only one I can vouch for is Stonemanor. I've never visited the others.

Colin

10:54 AM  
Anonymous JavaCurls said...

What item were you looking for? Perhaps I could help.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lane said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Colin. I just got a hook-up with the US Embassy, so I should be good for awhile!

And thanks to Java Curls for her offer as well!

7:34 PM  
Blogger sfacfan said...

You're lucky Walmart was still there, they are pulling out of German due to poor sales in that country!! You might look up Carrefour (spellling might be off) in France, they are a big super-store like WM, and the French carry many American products.

http://www.carrefour.com.br/

3:25 AM  
Blogger Cindy Lane said...

Thanks Sfacfan. I'm always open to new shopping sites -- in any country!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Elana said...

As long as you're not buying shoes there, I don't have to worry -- yet!

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home